Monday, May 30, 2011

Sundown Marathon 2011 Half Marathon Review


I had finished the race, there isn't any personal best. Just how close it was? This year I finished in 2: 06: 16. Last year it was 2: 06 : 15. So the difference was 1 sec to my personal best.

I gave my best, if i didn't stop at the last 2 water points, I am sure it can be around 30 sec faster. But anyway, I'm more determined to run a personal best again this year.


Race Review

This year Sundown orgainizer Hivelocity did a great job, after taking feedbacks & making adjustment to the overall race experience, there isn't any major issues. They received lots of complaints after last year race, as expected more people turn out for the race this year.

My friend Roland pick us up at around 5:30pm, reaching at around 6:15pm. Four of us running, last year it was 5. The race starts at 8pm, we were early and there are plenty of parking lots. Unlike last year, I didn't move to the very front of the start line.


Start of the race

When the gun went off, I just have to overtake the slower runners, kind of waste a bit of energy, need to get into good position, i overtook hundreds of people. At around 5km, I looked at my watch - 28mins. Good pace, however at around 8km, as usual the same old problem on my right knee, I slow down a bit, at around 10km, it was less than an hour on my watch. Just have to maintain this pace, i tell myself. The weather was humid, was totally wet from head to toes. At around 13km, i kind of feeling the strain, i'm running out much faster than i did in training, the only thing i knew was that i had done this before, all i have to do was to repeat it again.

From 13 km onwards, I stopped and took a slip at every water point, just to have light refreshment, it was a tough run. After 15km, the road was kind of empty in front of me, just half a dozen people, i was too tried by now to overtake any of them, just running at the intended pace.

At 19km mark, I looked at my watch, it was 1 hr 53 mins. I knew it will be quite close this time, so i just pick up speed towards the finish without looking at my watch again (when u look at your watch, you tend to slow down), the right knee problem was gone (or i just block it away), the final push to the finish line. As usual, i was familiar with the route, in the final stretch of around 2km it was total darkness, i was running towards the light at the finish line (the music gets louder as it was closer). When i crossed the finish line, i knew i had the same timing as last year 2hrs 6 mins.In the last 2.1km, i took 13 mins.

race results from runpix



I have a total of 7 pictures taken, i selected 2 of my favourite and post here :)


My friend Roland 59 years old, came in 2nd in his age group, Chin 54 years old, 3rd in his age group and Hong in 40-44 age group, he finished at 16 position. They are all superb runners and i can't keep up with them in training, i'm usually a step behind them.

No comments: